Self Advice...for the hard days.
Apr 4, 2023Last updated: Aug 18, 2023
Small bits of advice, labelled by the epistemic status of my ability to follow them.
ℹ️ See also Questions for Self-Introspection.
Epistemic Status Key
- 😇: Very Satisfied.
- 🙂: Satisfied.
- 😐: OK.
- 😬: Requires Improvement.
- 😞: Disappointed.
- Use sunscreen. 😇
- Sleep, a lot. 😇
- Be kind. Don't be an asshole. Don't be a push over either. 😇
- Lift weights. Build muscle. 😐
- Get hammered. 😇
- You will break hearts. Own up to mistakes. 😇
- Your heart will be broken. Learn to live with it. 😇
- Don't panic. Be a detached Buddha. 😇
- Have a hobby project. Don't bother finishing it. 🙂
- Purpose is fleeting - only comes from work or relationships like parents, s/o, kids, etc. 😐
- Motivation is a myth. Just show up. 😐
- Your ideas suck. Do it anyway. 😐
- Everything is a practice. 😐
- Pick an industry instead of a job. 🙂
- Figure out the optimal amount of hassle. 😬
- Communicate explicitly. 😐
- You will always under-communicate. Be better. 😬
- Remember compounding (of money, knowledge, everything). 🙂
- Thought experiments in extremes. 😞
- Show, then tell. 😐
- Build taste. 😐
- Everyone has an agenda. Figure it out and adapt. 😐
- Always account for bias. 🙂
- Things won’t get easier. Just get better at handling them. 😐
Every time I read about Charles Darwin, I come out more impressed. This time, it is not the science, but his perseverance. See Charles Darwin And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.